Friday, November 26, 2010

Knitting

The idea of the patchwork sounds great, Josie, and I love the flowery fabrics, I think it'd be perfect for an outside tablecloth or for a picnic basket!

My latest passion is knitting: I used to do it when I was little, and now I took it up again. It's the best way of spending your time during winter, a cup of tea and chats over the knitting work. To me, it's one of those 'lost' skills that were really important in the past, and now have been displaced by the industrial production. When I went to my grandmother's I found an amazing book from the 50's that explained all the techniques for knitting, and it was so interesting to see how women's habits and written comunication have changed. The introduction of the book said something like 'you should have a break every hour, maybe look outside the window, watch the TV if you have one, or smoke a sigarette'. Where would you find now a book that tells you to smoke?!

Maybe you know it already, but in Broadway Market Rd there is a whole shop dedicated to wool and other fabrics, it's called Fabrications. They have really cool projects and courses going on, I love the idea of gathering with strangers and knit. On this note, there is also a Feminist group in Shoreditch, the Shoreditch Sisters. It is ran by Jazz Domino (the one who's in many Emmy the Great songs!) and the members basically come together to talk about feminist issues, while they're crafting, knitting, sewing. Isn't it amazing?




2 comments:

  1. So cool!
    I think I need to meet your nonna...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey josie,
    i do confirm you should meet her nonna. she's a very witty and active old lady - baffled me!
    x

    ReplyDelete