Monday, December 6, 2010

Countryside


My love Josie,

This weekend my dear friend Sephy took me to Somerset and Bath. I had really great fun, besides the fact that it has been a genuine English experience for me - I ate far too many chips and fudge.
On Saturday night we went on an old steam train, where we were served dinner and drinks. I felt I was in the Russia of the 30's, maybe because I dressed up as a voyager of that time. The carriages were so amazing, we got one just for ourselves. The seats were velvety and springy, and everything else was wooden. It must have been so comfortable to actually travel on those trains, it made me dream of the orient express and Agatha Christie!




Anyway, we arrived in Dunster, an ancient tiny town, that had been lit up by candlelights to welcome Christmas; all the shops were open, selling goodies - that's when I had my first fudge experience and I think it will be the last as well, I couldn't handle the sugar rush. We also found a place where you could pat owls, I'm usually freaked out by birds, but these were so funny! One of them had such a grin in its face that we couldn't stop laughing - unfortunately, I didn't take any picture of them.

I had rum and raisins fudge

The day after, we went to Bath for some Christmas shopping and city-seeing. The city is lovely, I never went there before, it's a shame that the ticket to the Roman bath is so expensive though. It was full of Italians as well, I tried to hide myself, putting on the best British accent I could do. We had a yummy lunch in 'Café Retro', a cute café full of 70's posters, and a delicious hot chocolate in another café near the abbey. I wish that all the weekends were like this!


Mince pies made me think of our trip on the way back from Sydney


5 comments:

  1. Lovely Jubbly! These pictures are great Elisa, and your words even better. Thanks for this blog. Love Sepha x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Thats sounds so cool E, it's not fair! You look awesome too. It sounds like mixture of Agatha Christie, and Harry Potter with the owls! I don't know if we have any readers yet, but probably should point out that you are Italian, or they won't get it.
    I can't believe I didn't see that Cafe retro when I was in Bath, it looks so cool! Did you go to the fashion museum there though? That place is amazing, I swear it's one of the best things I did in England!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The coat is one of the great findings of my recent visit to Paris! It's green with a blackish fur, I really love it, I wish you could see it. I didn't go to the fashion museum, I didn't even know there was one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats so cool! sounds like you had such fun. i love bath :)

    BM

    thebohemiangoods.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete